View Single Post
Old 21st November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai-danno View Post
[...]The problem becomes powering all of that and considering the heat dissipation and air circulation in an MATX case.

Be considerate of your choice for the case itself, and what kind of fans it has (or that you might add to it.) [...]

That being said, if you can find a way to sneak in quiet 120mm fans and not compromise the airflow design of the case in the meantime (I can't tell you enough how stupid it can be to leave your case cover off or randomly drill holes), you can get around this possible problem.
I'm not one to customize my case (never cared for aesthetics over performance or cost-efficiency).

Currently I'm looking at the APEVIA X-QPACK-AL, which has a 120mm rear fan, 2 vents on either side, and an LCD temperature display on the front. Two of the reviews on newegg were by people who are successfully using it with some beefy hardware. Two of the reviews (one of the same, one a different) mentioned problems with the power supply it comes with, but I'm sure I can manage something there.
I'll keep looking for a better one but for now I'd like to see what you have to say about that.
EDIT:
Now I'm looking at the SILVERSTONE SST-SG01-S.
Quote:
If you've been depriving yourself of the latest graphics card because you were worried about heat, here's your very cool answer! Silverstone's SG01-S MicroATX Desktop case focuses on keeping your components cool with its heat-dissipating aluminum body, maximum-cooling layout, top and side vents, and 80mm fans side and rear.
The only cons mentioned in the reviews are the lack of space and flimsiness of the front usb/audio ports which I'll probably barely use anyway.
For powersupply I'd use the one that other people who bought that case got, the SILVERSTONE OP650 650W power supply. It has a 120mm cooling fan, and the power switch makes it attractive to me (as I occasionally freeze up my computer doing some stupid shit and would like to instantly shut it off).

Last edited by nfries88; 21st November 2008 at 03:49 AM.