View Single Post
Old 28th September 2008
Administrator

Having the added but admittedly limited perspective of reading qmemo's posts on BSDnexus, it appears that qmemo is migrating to Linux & finds that many of the accouterments found there more agreeable to his needs. I also suspect that he recognizes Linux's dominance in the Open Source marketplace, & wants to maximize & leverage both his investment of time & effort. Citing Wintellect's blog (which also points out a slow migration away from NetBSD...) projects qmemo's questioning whether the *BSD's meets the needs of the rank-&-file industry proponent.

If I have accurately summarized your position qmemo, great. If not, my apologies.

I interject because this thread is showing a basic disconnect over what jggimi's intention with offering vanilla installations of OpenBSD in live CD form. The Linux community has morphed the concept of such a tool into a rescue, repair, stealth, full-blown Swiss Army knife tool, & jggimi's intention is to provide a simple solution which allows users to do some quick testing of a nominally configured environment. jggimi's goal is not to provide and/or compete with do-all, be-all tools found on other platforms. I applaud jggimi for investing his on-going commitment to providing such a tool. I have found it useful on occasion to fix various errors I have encountered.

If I have accurately summarized your intentions jggimi, great. If not, my apologies.

The OpenBSD project is extremely small in comparison to other projects, & neither does it intend nor desire to dominate the marketplace. As such, it may have rough edges which will not appeal to everyone. If it meets your needs, great. If not, there are other alternatives available.