View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
New User

Default Citation / reference managers in OpenBSD?

Dear OpenBSD users,

I've just acquired a Thinkpad x200 with the aim of transitioning into a full-time OpenBSD user. The 5.5 release with the Xfce desktop works flawlessly and I am very happy with this system.

Nearly all of my software needs have been quite satisfactorily met using the available packages. However, one minor niggle remains. I cannot seem to find a suitable reference/citation manager for academic work.

I am very fond of Zotero, but Firefox on OpenBSD seems to have issues with the Zotero plugin. The browser will not relaunch after it has been installed. Thus I am unable to use either Firefox or Zotero until the Zotero plugin is removed. I cannot either compile FireFox from ports due to space limitations on the current drive. Just for kicks I tried Zotero in a fresh install of FreeBSD and it does not have this issue.

I am aware that the problem seems to be more widespread: forums.zotero.org/discussion/32183?page=1#Item_12

None of the options listed on the Zotero forum worked for me. I even tried an online hack to get the Zotero plugin working in Seamonkey without success.

Jabref, the other alternative, is not available in the OpenBSD repository or in ports.

Ideally I would like a program that works well with LibreOffice. I have no qualms about learning something completely new until the Zotero issue is fixed. I am willing to wait patiently for a fix but in the meantime I need something to use. I would even be willing to explore a proprietary option as a last resort.

Any tips or suggestions would be very appreciated! I am willing to put in the time and effort to get this working so any suggestions will be taken very seriously.