View Single Post
Old 7th May 2011
Package Pilot

This is really strange but it worked.

I already had this in my rc.conf for the Gigabyte machine and it never worked ... but it DID on all my other machines for over two years:

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbs..._clear_tmp.htm

Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"
moused_flags="-m 2=3"
Since playing with the USB mouse, even the out dated quick-and-dirty methods still did not give me cut-and-paste on Gigabyte new technology (MB).

I just found a link that sent me to the right part of FreeBSD Hand Book that said go here <ee /boot/loader.conf> and type these two lines:
Code:
include /boot/loader.4th
start
Than reboot.

It worked, now I have cut-and-paste on my Gigabyte. But before I posted this solution, I had to make sure that this is a way to do it so that other may not have any problems.

I just commented out those two lines in the boot loader.conf, than reboot and GUEST WHAT ... I still had PS2 with copy-and-paste.

My guest is, it must had integrated into the system somehow .. but whatever the case, I am HAPPY again! No need for all that wild stuff to get the USB mouse to work.

Sorry Gigabye. It was a configuration issue, but obviously the new technology in Gigabyte BIOS must have forced some kind of change from standard methods that did FreeBSD no favors.

Sorry FreeBSD, but your Hand-Book is still out of date, and if I ask you how something works under the hood, don't tell me "don't waste your time ... if it don't like you, it won't work". This is suppose to be open-source, now you guys need a (life-time) driver writer. But like Humphrey Bogart, I never meant to break your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbqBdghh6E

Just another driver issue that can be overcome by FreeBSD for FREE. Add that to Linuxisms like GEM/KMS and INTEL dropping support for the driver that works for FreeBSD because it's FREE. That should be againce the law of computing, with real-life legal consequences

Just a thought .. FreeBSD might be able to do it for FREE as long as INTEL driver-writers don't add blocking procedures to stop the FreeBSD loader.

Nine out of ten I am wrong, but who can prove it! I hope you find this.

OK.. May I be sane again

Thank you

<EDIT>but it DID on all my other machines for over two years:

Last edited by sharris; 7th May 2011 at 02:30 AM.