View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The default parity rebuild occurs before fsck or mounting. You can ctrl-C, or modify /etc/rc, to have it run in the background.
This behaviour is different from several other OSes with RAIDframe or other software RAID implementations, as far as I understand.

Ctrl-C is not really an option, this is a headless machine. I may modify the startup to let the machine run fsck and all services before starting resync, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The risk, as I understand it, for RAID1 is of a failure of one of the mirrors -during- the parity rebuild. If the array is not writeable during the failure, data integrity is assured. But, if the array is in active use, e.g. mounted r/w or in an fsck that is changing blocks -- you may be resorting to a backup for recovery.
That sounds like an acceptable risk to me.

I do have daily backups, so for me the main reason for running RAIDframe is reducing downtime in the event of a disk failure. But having an extra hour or more of downtime every single time the power fails or the computer crashes kind of defeats that purpose.