View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I think the issue with forcing media type isn't so much that it will break anything, but more that it's a treatment for a *symptom* and not the real underlying issue. A while back on misc it was stated that autonegotiation is bad and should be avoided...one of the OpenBSD developers (henning, I believe) refuted that with (summarization): "autonegotiation is only bad if you're using very, very old equipment". He didn't give an exact date range, but if you're using networking gear that is 10 years old, media type isn't really your biggest problem.

In this case, forcing the media type means that there is a bigger problem (i.e. why can't the media type be auto-detected??). The reason it's ok to force the media type in this instance is that we're not OpenBSD developers, so until this is resolved in code (if it's deemed a software issue and resolvable at the code level, of course) we have no other options.

Edit: Just out of morbid curiosity, what is on the other end of the link? What kind of router/switch/etc...?

Last edited by rocket357; 22nd October 2010 at 02:47 PM.