View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixjingleman View Post
would it be best to just bring up the OpenBSD's internal interface statically and to bring up the interfaces of machines on the internal subnet statically also. So that the OpenBSD box isn't doing dhcp for the internal network, it is just a firewall for it?
For such a small network, the benefits of separating the DHCP server from the firewall is negligible. This has been discussed before.
Quote:
In which case should i have the border router as the DNS server for all the machines on the whole network?
I tend to doubt that your border router is acting as a DNS server. I suspect it is relaying DNS received from your ISP.
Quote:
Or would it be better for the machines on the internal network to get their I.Ps via dhcp, from the OpenBSD box(bearing in mind that the servers already get their I.Ps via dhcp from the border router) and have the OpenBSD as the DNS server for the internal network also?
You are mixing two different subjects together. Separate them.
  • Whatever box serves DHCP is up to you.
  • Hosting DNS yourself only has value if you have your own unique domain. Otherwise, take advantage of whatever your ISP provides.
There are no magic or definitive answers to your questions. If this were a large corporate network, separation of functionality would have greater importance, but deciding what machine will serve what functionality in such a small network is all a matter of personal choice & opinion. Why don't you experiment & decide what is best for your environment?