View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd January 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Default dmz and firewall questions

Hi there
I'm totally new to OpenBSD. I do have 2 years UNIX experience via Linux. I'm currently wanting to set up a network with 2 servers in a DMZ in order to separate them from an internal network. I want to use an OpenBSD dedicated firewall. This firewall will have 3 network interfaces on it. One network interface will connect to the external router/modem(router and modem in one box), one interface will connect to the DMZ and the other interface will connect to the internal network. The router/modem lets you put, i think it's 1 or 2, interfaces in a DMZ. But, when i think of any of the dedicated firewall's or servers' interfaces it doesn't make sense to me to put any of them in the router/modem's DMZ( I'm think it would be better for the dedicated firewall's and the servers' interfaces to have static private I.Ps ie 192.168.2.4 etc right?). What i mean is that even if, as far as the router/modem is concerned, none of the interfaces were in a DMZ, the area where the servers are would still effectively be a perimeter network and with such a set up would still be, effectively,a DMZ, right?. If i should put any of these interfaces in this DMZ please let me know which one.
Thank you for your time. This is really not a joke i am in fact still a UINX n00b
regards Unixjingleman