View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th December 2009
./dev/null

Default VMWare Workstation 7 with OpenBSD 4.6 i386 guest - Part 2

Ok here is where i make a few tweaks to the settings of the virtual machine, i will include a picture of the "Allocate Disk Space Now" settings to ensure that all use it.

So by right clicking on the virtual machine we just created we can click "settings" and begin. I start with dropping the floppy disk and the audio controller by selecting them (one by one) and clicking the "remove" button.

Next i goto my hard disk section and click "advanced" this is where i ensure to select "independant" under MODE and also "persistent". There is a button called "Utilies" that you can use do defragment your virtual machine if you like.

The next option is CD/DVD, in this example i am going to boot from an OpenBSD iso file, so i will select "use ISO image file" and tell Workstation the path to the file. You may choose to boot from CD/DVD in which case select "use physical drive", this is the selected option after the OpenBSD install is completed.

If you have decided to keep networking enabled you may choose here how to handle it, useing NAT will of course you the IP configuration of the host. I would recommend to select "replicate physical network connection state" as this will track status of your networking (if you are using it).

Next up is the USB section, i keep this because sometimes i use USB drives to transfer things (comes in handy no networking too), i like to check off "show all USB input devices". You can later on enable/disable them from the menu under VM then REMOVABLE DEVICES as you please.

Under the Display section if you are using any type of GUI you can enable the 3D acceleration, this has helped to smooth out a bit of desktop choppiness, even without VMTools installed.
Attached Images
File Type: png disk.png (35.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg usb.jpg (29.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: png independent-hdd.png (26.3 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by There0; 27th December 2009 at 07:19 AM.