View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
You're a glutton for punishment. Put some RAM in that baby. You're starving your CPUs.
2x4Gb of RAM coming soon. I had to install it to show the administration the benefits of it and after we have decided to buy some RAM.

Quote:
Whatever you configure the record size in MySQL is what you use for the record size in ZFS.
I will have to look for the default values because i haven't modified them in MySQL.

Quote:
Considering how often MySQL data is accessed, you shouldn't compress it. You don't want anything to get in the way of your data I/O.
Thought so too but I had to ask to be sure.

Quote:
Only this: DON'T USE MYISAM! Really, just don't.
This is not up to me. The whole application that the company develops is based on MyISAM. Maybe in the future they will switch to InnoDB or other storage engine.

Quote:
Snapshots are your backups. Sending the snapshots to another system running ZFS is your off-server backups.
For now i don't have another system that runs ZFS but this is a plan for the future.

Quote:
The OpenSolaris website is fount of ZFS info, as are the Sun blogs. Everything ZFS is located there, including the ZFS Admin manual.
The ZFS Admin manual is a great resource. I'm heading to opensolaris website to do the reading.

Thank you very much for your thoughts phoenix.

all the best,
v