View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st March 2011
Arp Constable

Quote:
The neverending pursuit of the 'latest&greatest&biggest&best' does not move me, but to each his own I guess
Have you looked at Debian? It is not the latest and greatest but it very stable, security upgrades are maintained for all portions of the operating system and it has a very large variety of packages. Selecting the defaults during an install has a good probability of getting you a usable system.

Quote:
Well, I have specific tasks...
Firefox works the same in either BSD or Linux. Same with Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Kmail, Claws-Mail, alpine, mutt for email. Perhaps what you need to settle on is which applications meet your needs. Most operating systems allow you to pick and choose browsers, email clients etc. Listing your tasks also be helpful. As an example, I manage my bank account online and my Bank requires a flash plugin and javascript which made linux a better choice (I don't like the idea of running wrapper inside of BSD for the plugin)

The other question is if you want to learn the basic features of the operating system or just want it to work with the click of a button. You will learn more with Slackware or OpenBSD/FreeBSD. If your network does not work with PC-BSD you will not have learned the basics of setting it up or how to trouble shoot it. Yet someone who is familiar with FreeBSD would have not problem looking at the configuration files in PC-BSD.

Last edited by shep; 31st March 2011 at 04:24 AM.