View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Once the -release branch is tagged, no changes are further made to this branch. To anticipate what changes might be forthcoming to -stable packages/ports is impossible to make, so to make a blanket pronouncement stating that -stable packages/ports can run as expected on -release is likely never to be made.

Note that -release + all released patches is very closely equivalent to -stable. Traditionally, there are no library changes made from -release to -stable. Most likely, -stable packages/ports will work on a fully patched -release system, but this is conjecture on my part, & I highly doubt that anything will ever be said officially to remove the existing ambiguity.

The project wants to focus on new development in -current. This is why -stable tends to be short shrifted.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. In that case, I think I will stick with the -release packages/ports tree, since I am new to OpenBSD and do not want to run the risk of breaking anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
No evidence is seen on the ftp sites at this time.
Hmm, either the -stable package plan must have been abandoned, or there was never one in the first place. I am guessing that the latter is the case, since the only reference to packages I have ever seen was in that OBSD Journal comment.

Concerning the -release packages, how much of a risk do you think I am taking, in terms of security, by running (up to) six-month-old software? I was always taught to apply security updates whenever they appear, but by using packages with my -release base as the OpenBSD developers recommend, that does not seem to be possible. OpenBSD is a very security-conscious group, so do I have anything to be concerned about?