View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post

Obviously there is co-operation and exchange between them, which is good, but still you have different kernels (at the heart of what I meant by fragmented). If things were more unified (in principle) wouldn't that (a) free up developer resources for many purposes, (b) improve the chances of outside developers contributing optional-use products; (c) cause the whole to add up to more than the currents parts do? (Not that things will unite, but that is my perception of the situation.)
The set of goals which they outlined for themselves can NOT be accomplished with the same kernel. There is not such thing as one shoe fits all feet. That is exactly what is wrong with Linux. It is trying to be everything track( server), a sedan (desktop) a spaceship (supper computer) and minimalistic OS (race care) and security app and
embedded OS. It is as simple as that. FreeBSD could adopt NetBSD packaging system and that would definitely free resources and that is all. OpenBSD can not adopt pkgsrc due to security issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Another example is Xenocara. If they had more resources, perhaps they wouldn't have to start with Xorg (bastard son of Linux ) and could start more from scratch (XFree?). I don't know any of the history of Xenocara, so just take that example as a loose general idea.
Demise of XFree86 is caused by license change which was not free enough.
OpenBSD is the freest operating system in existence which is going soon
to be free on any parts which are not academically licensed as BSD/MIT ect. So you gave a really bad example.

Xenocara could be theoretically totally separate from XOrg. That is huge job requiring many more developers. The secret of OpenBSD success
is the small group of very competent developers (less than 100) who
can effectively communicate and advance very narrow set of goals.

It is much more probably that OpenBSD would get a framebuffer support
and drop all together X than they will completely fork X.