View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2011
More noise than signal

wlm2,

You and Igor had previously decided on this topology:
Code:
{Internet} -- a.b.c.d/xx -- [Linksys router] -- 192.168.1/24 -- [ALIX router] -- e.f.g.h/xx -- [Windows laptop]
Where a.b.c.d/xx is the CIDR address you have on your ISP's subnet. The subnet between the Linksys router and the ALIX router is 192.168.1.0/24, with the ALIX at 192.168.1.102, and the Linksys device at 192.168.1.1, if I recall their specific addresses correctly.

Your inner subnet on vr1 you have not described. I don't know if you've defined it yet, so I call it e.f.g.h/xx. But it doesn't matter. As long as it is a different subnet and is also within any of the RFC 1918 blocks, that will be fine.

I've stated this in your larger "urgently!!" thread, and I will state it here once more. With this two-router topology you decided on, NAT is not necessary between vr0 and vr1. All that is needed is a route added to the Linksys box, so that it can reach the vr1 subnet.

For example: if the vr1 subnet e.f.g.h/xx was 10.0.0.0/24, you merely need to add a route on the linksys router, defining a route for the destination network (10.0.0.0/24) via the ALIX router (192.168.1.102).

NAT is in use on the Linksys router. All of your local addresses will be translated into your single IP address assigned to you on your ISP's a.b.c.d/xx subnet. It will keep state tables, translate all transiting addresses in and out, and route the packets accordingly. It just needs to be told where to route the "inner" traffic.

---

Your description in this thread, however, describes a different topology. Please clarify.