View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2010
Shell Scout

Default FBSD 8.1, KDE4 Printing Woes

I am running KDE 4.4.5 on my FreeBSD 8.1-Release laptop. I cannot seem to print much of anything anymore, with CUPS running. The only thing I can print currently is a test page - and only through the CUPS utilities (at localhost:631).

Firefox (specifically linux-firefox) doesn't see *any* printers, it only gives me the option to print to file. This is frustrating but was not always a game-stopper as I could always take that file and open it in okular and print there ...

Except now okular sees printers but never sends jobs anywhere. I can open a PDF in there, and send it to a printer but the job never goes anywhere. It never shows up under sent or active jobs in CUPS, but it never gives an error, either. Okular seems to think everything is OK even though it clearly is not. I would try to print from acroread, but that program is a massive pile of failure on FBSD 8.1-Release (opens and immediately crashes) in my experience.

To make things more curious I found I can print from Kate, but that isn't helpful when I want to print a pdf.

When I googled for various connotations of "kde freebsd print" I got several references to "kprinter", which apparently no longer exists in this version of KDE.

Any ideas on what to do?