View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Port Guard

Default sendmail host name lookup failure

Hello everybody.

I run sendmail 8.14.2 on FreeBSD 5.5, 6.3 and 7.0 (from ports on 5.5, default on 6.3 and 7.0) in a small testing lan, behind a snat router which hosts a 9.3.3 bind name server. The domain name is not public, say aaa.bbb.ccc and the 3 machines are fbsd-5, fbsd-6 and fbsd-7. Name resolution is ok, tested with host and dig.
If I want to send emails from any of the 3 bsd's to another machine, say fc-6, user test, the mail is sent from fbsd-7, but not from the fbsd-5 and fbsd-6, error "stat=Deferred: Name server: fc-6.aaa.bbb.ccc.: host name lookup failure".
The sendmail servers have the same configuration (the default one - including WorkAroundBrokenAAAA) , all are compiled with NAMED_BIND, sendmail is enabled in rc.conf.
After some sniffing of the bind conversations I found that:
- all the 3 bsd's send A requests at some point in the conversation and receive the right response;
- all of the bsd's send AAAA requests and receive NOERR responses from the name server (I do not use ipv6);
- all except fbsd-7 request AAAA for fc-6. receiving ServFail as response. This is weird!!

Is the problem sendmail related or resolver library related? I googled for 2 days, no solution, except recompiling sendmail without ipv6 support.