View Single Post
Old 19th December 2017
New User

Talking

Hello everyone,

I apologize for being gone for so long. I had a few things to take care of, but yes, once I disabled acpiwmi kernel option, the install media finished booting the laptop. I wasn't aware of the BIOS option, and I think I'll have a look at it in a few moments. I also didn't know how to disable the acpiwmi option from the boot prompt or if it was even possible for that matter. So, I installed and ran NetBSD from VirtualBox and compiled a new installation kernel without WMI support, and then replaced the kernel in the installation media with the custom one. Later, I found out that by dropping to the boot prompt, the system could be booted by specifying:

Code:
boot -c
Then, as it begins to boot, it pauses at some "prompt" (I'm not really sure what it is) where one can disable or modify built-in kernel options. So, at that "prompt", it allowed me to disable the WMI by entering:

Code:
disable acpiwmi
quit
I'm not sure how that information can be passed without having to drop to that "prompt", so I just compiled another kernel but with acpiwmi commented out.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the help because it's working