View Single Post
Old 21st December 2017
New User

I apologize yet again for taking long to respond. I got a little too involved with adding stuff to NetBSD and those "few moments" turned into hours and hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post
One step forward, at least

On the picture you posted, the last line is some ACPI WMI related features.
WMI is Windows Management Instrumentation, maybe not really NetBSD friendly.
(but since I don't use NetBSD, I really don't know, it's just an idea).

So if WMI is the cause of the trouble, it should be possible to deactivate it in the BIOS, in the Power Management section.
Or it should be possible to deactivate the entire ACPI features.

Would be worth trying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFrettchen View Post

The BIOS settings would be the easiest solution, IMHO
So, I took a look at the BIOS settings, but it didn't include any Power Management section, or some other section for that matter, where WMI or all ACPI features could be deactivated unfortunately, or at least, I couldn't find any. It's running some version of Phoenix BIOS. I may be able to get the version if it's important to anyone. Also, I've tried the default boot option where kernel support for ACPI is disabled but that ends up freezing mid-boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Have a look at the boot.conf(5) man page. I think you should be able to use the userconf keyword to pass a userconf(4) disable command to the kernel automatically at boot.
I tested your idea, and I think it would be the easiest option. I'll post a copy of a working boot.cfg file that boots a generic netbsd kernel on an HP Pavillion laptop just for the sake of completeness:

Code:
/boot.cfg

menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
menu=Boot single user:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -s
menu=Disable ACPI:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd -2
menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd  -12
menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
default=1
timeout=5
clear=1
userconf=disable acpiwmi