View Single Post
Old 15th August 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Using cat(1) /dev/sound y with an umlaut symbol...
The cat(1) utility sends its output to the file descriptor known as standard output. That's to the shell -- whether an xterm window, or a console. As shown in FAQ 13, you need to redirect the output to the sound device, using the greater than symbol >. If you forget to use it, your sound file will be sent to the console as if it were text, then after that file, cat will attempt to "read" the sound device and output anything from it to the console also.

I believe that is what happened during your test. Please retest. Be sure to use the greater than symbol on your keyboard to redirect output to the sound device. See the cat(1) man page. The command should be:

$ cat my.sound.file > /dev/audio
Quote:
...produces a system sound...
You are hearing a standard device on i386/amd64 architecture motherboards called the PC speaker. These beeps are not produced by your Intel 82801H device.

The aucat(1) command does not redirect, you use either the -o (for "output") to record sound, or -i (for "input") to listen. See the aucat(1) man page. As per FAQ 13, the command would be:

$ aucat -i my.sound.file

--

Your mixerctl settings are very different from mine. It will take time to review line by line. This is not unexpected, we have similar soundcards but different hardware implementations.

Last edited by jggimi; 15th August 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarity, typo