View Single Post
Old 4th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmyrgel View Post
Yeah, my ISP blocks all outgoing traffic from port 25 unless you route it through them. There shouldn't be any blocking on incoming.

Shouldn't the emails work if I get my domain working properly and use the domain name on the configuration?
No it will not work. I think that you have to go back to square one and rethink whole idea of running your email server.
You need static IP, reverse DNS and MX record to begin with. For all I know your internet provider might be unwilling even to provide you with those because he/she will be in trouble if your "mail server" becomes spam
zombie due to your incompetence to run mail server. DNS/Cable internet provider in US charge anywhere from $20 to upward of $60. No company will give you that price for essentially business account. You are looking at the best $40 more likely something around $100 in internet cost.

Unless you are providing email services to a small office or a group of people there is absolutely no reason for you to run real mail server just for the sake of doing it. You Internet provider will probably more than happy to provide you with couple email accounts that can be accessed via IMAP client and configured to send email via SMTP. Get your self a good email client and you will be happy camper.

Lots of people on this forum like Mutt and if you need real GUI interface on your email account sylpheed, clows, thunderbird, kmail or evolution are choices.

I personally like Nail. If I use GUI I use thunderbird.

Best,
OKO

Last edited by Oko; 4th July 2008 at 02:04 AM.