View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokko
i,ve been stuffing around with config files and now i cant get my modem to go LOL
when i run 'pppd call vodafone' i get now
"Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyU0
Modem hangup
connection terminated "
Looks to me like partial success, in that your chat script seems to be working. However, there's no indication of either CHAP or PAP authentication success.

So my first suggestion is to read everything relevant to authentication in the pppd(8) man page. Specifically how to authenticate yourself to the server. (The other way 'round is not needed which can be specified with the "noauth" option.)

Beyond that a few ideas:

* since you don't know if ISP supports only PAP or CHAP, so don't use either of "refuse-pap" or "refuse-chap".

* likewise make your pap-secrets and chap-secrets files the same ... symbolic link from one to the other will do.

* use the "user" parameter to pppd to tell it what to look up in the *-secrets file, e.g., "user yourispuserid@yourisp.au" or whatever it is.

* the *-secrets file needs to be owned by root, mode 600 and might contain something like this:

Code:
# Client                  Server          Secret
yourispuserid@yourisp.au  *               your_password
If you think you've done all this right and it still doesn't work, I strongly suggest enabling the "debug" option to pppd. This will let you look at all the authentication and connection negotiations going on.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.