View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2013
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spermwhale_warrior View Post
It produces a xorg.conf. I never put my nose into X, so I am not sure.
I think it's a dull one, because at the "Monitor Section" no true value of the fields
are given, just things as "Monitor0", "Monitor Vendor" and the likes.
Given that you are able to run "Xorg -configure", it sounds like you are able to log in at the console. That's good.

The empty-ish monitor section in xorg.conf.new is nothing to worry about. Usually the settings needed for a modern monitor can be auto-detected, so there's no need to fill a lot in there.

My general aim is to suggest trying to make an xorg.conf based around the VESA video driver. This should be stable and might get X working for you (if there are no other problems). VESA has a reputation of being slow, and may not have high enough resolution for a large desktop monitor (e.g., 1920x1080). But you have a laptop, if it's a typical 1366x768, that's supported by VESA driver (I use it on my laptop). As for speed I find the VESA driver fast enough to play videos ... the radeon hardware in the laptop is probably just that powerful.

It still would be good to see your dmesg, xorg.conf.new and Xorg.0.log as suggested by J65nko. If you are not familiar enough with unix commands to gather and attach these to your post, let us know where the difficult points are and we can walk you through it.