View Single Post
Old 9th December 2008
Port Guard

Default thanks ! & some more questions...

Hi and thanks to all of you for helpful and quick answers !

So, I also checked the log change of the BIOS from acer website and indeed, flashing the BIOS doesn't seem to bring anything better since they only changed the logo between 7 and 8 and again between 8 and 9. So I think I can forget this solution. (But I still don't understand how I can bring a batch file or *.exe files to work under FreeBSD - do you mean using wine or anything alike ?? Anyway it's not really important now).

I also tried acpiconf and I am *totally confused* :

Code:
[nico@tezcatlipoca /usr/home/nico]$ acpiconf -i 0
Design capacity:        2000 mAh
Last full capacity:     1758 mAh
Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
Design voltage:         14800 mV
Capacity (warn):        85 mAh
Capacity (low):         51 mAh
Low/warn granularity:   34 mAh
Warn/full granularity:  1673 mAh
Model number:           Bat 4Cell
Serial number:           4878
Type:                   LION
OEM info:               Acer
State:                  discharging
Remaining capacity:     83%
Remaining time:         1:09
Present rate:           18662 mA
Voltage:                15489 mV
[nico@tezcatlipoca /usr/home/nico]$
...because it seems to display the right informations about discharging/charging information, remaining time etc.

So it seems to work although I was sure from the contrary.

I don't know where I have seen that the temperature given by acpi was 0 C, in my own previous post it's written :

Code:
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 49,0C
And I spent the whole Sunday afternoon on that problem and didn't find out that it works ! I was sure it didn't before I decided to post. I'm totally ashamed !

Well..........

So now I have to find where I can let the current temperature display (and remaining time) but that are window-manager related things so it should be OK.

I think I'll try to test the 7.1 beta from a virtual box to check if these error messages are away or not.

There's something else I don't understand : shutdown/reboot the computer is only possible when logged in as root in a terminal for instance and typing the command (shutdown -h now). There are no choices in the graphic menus, which could be practical. Do you have any hint on where to find a solution for that ?

And a last question : I found how to set a French keyboard with accents in rc.conf (keymap knob). But there's one kind of keyboard which is not the available keyboards listed in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps

I would like to edit a kbd file to add some keys but I don't know if it is possible in such a simple way (to add a new keyboard layout). I would like to have the "ß" symbol when striking altgr and b together, for instance, instead of getting it with altgr and s. Also liked to have some maths symbols I use quite often (divide, multiply etc.).

What's the link between the rc.conf keymap knob and the setxkbmap command ? This last one uses rules that can be found here : /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/. What's the relation between these files and the /usr/share/syscons/keymaps ones ?

I also modified the /etc/login.conf (and did the cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf) and attributed the login class "french" to my user "nico". This class is defined this way :

Code:
#
## French users
#
french:\
        :charset=fr_FR.UTF-8:\
        :lang=fr_FR.UTF-8:\
        :tc=default:
I prefer using utf8, it works properly with the ext3 partition I want to read. (The accents are correct).

But when using this login class, eg modifying the charset, modifies the keyboard layout. If I don't use this login class along with the right keymap in rc.conf, I don't get the same result. For instance, the € symbol works with these two settings (using altgr and e), not without the charset set to fr_FR.UTF-8

So questions are :

1°) If anyone can tell me more about these different keyboard settings that seem to interact with each other ?
2°) If it is possible to create a new kbd file (modifying an existing kbd file to add some things) ? And where is it possible to find documentation about the way it should be written, because everything is not clear in a kbd file ! (I especially don't find the altgr version of the keys ; there's a column for base, shift, cntrl, shift cntrl, alt cntrl etc. but nothing for altgr)