View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default New User - Ports Install and GNOME Pkg problems

Greetings to all:

I'm IronForge - a BSD Newbie. Been a Linux user for 6 yrs or so. Had some hackers break down my system for awhile, so I decided to install OpenBSD. I've few situations I need your input on:

1) I tried dowloading the -STABLE Ports Collection (boy did it take awhile -Ha!); and came up with several incomplete compilings (let it run overnight...). When I try to patch the ports up (after "making clean"), I get the following:

? port genre/product_name/product_component/w-packagename

for example:
? x11/gtk+/w-gtk+-1.2.10p7

I've about 60 of these. The problem is, that for this example, I can't make uninstall, reinstall, or pkg_delete since the package is bound to libdv-0.104p2.

What's going on here? Does the "w-" prefix indicate a problem as well, since when I (make) reinstalled another port on the list, "cvs -q up"-ing (haven't RTFM completely -sorry) still gives me the "? w-package-info-tree" again?

2) After my initial ports make-install, I tried to install Gnome. I do have the gdm up; but the windowing environment is still FVWM... The good news is, I can call several apps (gedit, epiphany). Per the aforementioned example, the gtk+ and other ports are in a "bind". I presume this is related.

Any fixes, steps to take is greatly appreciated.

Regards