View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
Arp Constable

Oh trust me, I couldn't write in that style of English if a love life depended on it <_<

It comes from an oldy called the ten commands of C programmers.

Basically what it means is if you assume all the world is using what you use, say for example -- you only use a 32-Bit Intel Pentium II with , so you write code that depends on that for something very intimate to that processor and it's hardware but does something really neat.

Then oh crap, you get a shiny new PC running a 128-Bit, 8 core, perfluorocarbon cooled AMD CPU screamin' for new programs.

You Foxtrot Uniform Charle Kilo'ed yourself and anyone else who wants to run your program without a lot of work.

Or what if your using a machine with an 8-Bit byte and a 8 byte word and then machines with 18-bit bytes and 8 byte words become all the rage? It's not likely for the size of a byte to actually change but it is arch dependent if I ever paid any attention.

The "All the world's a VAX" probably dates back to the days of the VAX machines and traditional C: to day I think a better choice of words would be "All the words a x86 (32-bit)" or "all the worlds a Pentium"

I don't think I've ever seen anything *really* stupid other then assumptions about the sizes of various types (or just disregard for possible differences) but ya never know these days !!!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.