View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
Incorrect. FreeBSD support is better. (Just having few more poor quality drivers doesnt mean better wireless support), OpenBSD just got WPA recently ...., ignoring fact that OpenBSD doesnt support NDIS.
I count by drivers available / chipsets supported, not by quality (beyond ones I've used) and I do not count developments not to reach a RELEASE near me. Drivers ported or documented as "first appearing in" Net or Open BSDs, I also count as lesser support from FreeBSD - due to porting time needed, not to mention time for it to reach a RELEASE or associated STABLE branch.

OpenBSD will never support tools like nidsgen, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP
2/ Multimedia plugins for surfing the web all suck, b/p to use Linux versions of all
Wrong, Flash can be used via gnash/wine/youtube-dl combination. Almost all multimedia on Web can be viewed via mplayer.
0/ WINE is not FreeBSD, if it was I would use Vista instead.

1/ In my experience the MPlayer plugin is buggy and just how much depends on the browser used. I've often had to send SIGKILL to flock-bin processes after closing linux-flock or just closing a tab, due to having the MPlayer plugin in use when the window/tab was closed. Viewing multiple video streams at once has also caused my browser to hang on many occasions. I do not call this usable enough, to not say that it sucks.

2/ My note to be prepared to use Linux versions of software, is because of increasing need for Flash 8+ plugins and the road to FreeBSD 9. Not to mention that a number of people can't live with out that infernally annoying website known as youTube!

3/ I do not consider downloading and opening MPlayer independently to be a 'browser plugin', if you mean making the web browser use an mplayer plugin whenever a flash plugin (et. al.) is requested for video playback , then I see your point ;-)

N.B. I use MPlayer for almost all my video playback needs, be it in a web browser and beyond.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 12th November 2008 at 08:36 PM.