View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th July 2009
Administrator

Hi gosha,

Quote:
I was thinking about buying a ThinkPad, because reading around in various forums it seems that unix is best supported there and it seems to be very reliable hardware.
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell Latitude, focus on these, also HP 2510p is great choice for money if you need one of the best 12" laptops.

Quote:
I was thinking at the beginning to look for a dual core, so, first question: would a machine like that be too slow?
More then one core is always a big advantage, no matter anytime you find som app hog CPU, you will have second core to kill it, ot even do not notice it.

I think that at least dual core is mandatory, change that Celeron into dual core Intel U7600 (2 x 1.2GHz) for example.

I would not buy today a laptop that has only one core, maybe some single core T4x if I would be using OpenBSD, but as long as you are not focused on OpenBSD, dual core is a must IMHO.

Quote:
I repeat ONLY with MS IE
VirtualBox/QEMU/WINE + IE and you are done.

Quote:
So, would I be able to run Wine through Linux binary emulation?
FreeBSD has NATIVE WINE, Linux Binary Compatibility, NOT EMULATION is not used here. It means that FreeBSD has Linux ABI implemented.

Quote:
Would that work with Skype to?
You can use linux-skype from Ports using Linux Binary Compatibility, or WINE, which will be slower.

Quote:
Or would it be easier to run windows inside qemu? Would this Celeron M be enough for that?
Get dual core. it will be too slow.

Quote:
Last question: will suspend and hibernate work fine? I quite need to leave all my terminals open and come back to them later.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, you will have to google for that.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd