View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2011
Port Guard

Angry ISP is Blocking Incoming Mail (among other issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Can you send mail out, like
Code:
$ ls -l | mail -s 'The files in my home dir' jxxxxxxx@gmail.com
?
Yes, that's working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
If you have neither, a domain name nor MX record for that domain, you still should be able to ask a friend to send mail to you with something like:

Code:
$ mail -s 'test'  zyos@[84.83.82.81] <testmessage.txt
I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
If your ISP won't lift the block, there are services that will forward SMTP traffic via alternative ports. I happen to use the mailhop service from dyndns.org.
Well, the situation is even more abysmal than I originally anticipated. While mailhop may be very useful for this one particular application I believe it can do very little to solve the larger issue that this problem has lead me to uncover.

As far as my ISP knows they aren't blocking anything but they are. So even if they were willing to lift the block nobody there seems to even know of its existence. While I was talking to them I learned that I was in direct violation of their "Online Acceptable Use Policy" for hosting my own web-server (or any kind of other server) that I am using to host my own personal website. When I asked for more detail no one there was able to help me. So, 10 minutes later I walked into their main office and demanded documentation on exactly what I was and wasn't allowed to do. I had to sit there and wait for 15 minutes before they could provide me with their "Online Acceptable Use Policy".

I read through it and it turns out I am also violating their terms by:

- Using Wireshark (to look at the traffic on my own personal network) or using probing tools (for perfectly legitimate purposes).

- Using sticky dynamic ip addresses or configuring DHCP in any way (probably because I'm not paying them $90 for a business connection plus an extra $5 for a static address).

- Using OpenBSD in general (while not stated explicitly it seems to be heavily implied)

I called them back and told them to make me an exception to these terms. They then admitted that they really didn't have any way of knowing that I was doing any of this and not to worry about it.... That's not going to be enough for me though. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

This may be something other people may want to check on as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ISP in the midwest that they have found or know to be particularly friendly to users such as ourselves?

(Also, moderators, I may have just hijacked my own thread. Please, feel free to re tittle, move, or modify it in anyway for it to be more suitable to its content as you see fit. Perhaps a title something like "ISP is Blocking Incoming Mail" would be more appropriate)