View Single Post
Old 8th September 2011
More noise than signal

The script(1) tool is a wonderful aid to logging what you are doing; I mentioned it to you in one of your other threads the other day. But you have reproduced for us key information from badblocks, and from SMART. And this time, you managed to reproduce for us a complete report from smartctl. Thank you.

It looks to me like the badblocks program was unable to "clear" up bad sectors for you (by having the drive select from spare sectors) when it wrote patterns.

You still have 18 "Pending" sectors, and 16 "Offline uncorrectable" sectors. The latter came during the one-and-only long offline test ever performed on the drive. That test never completed, it was stopped after only 10% of the sectors were inspected.

This failure to clear sectors indicates to me that the drive has no spare sectors remaining. If it were my drive, I would no longer trust it.

If you want a picture of how many bad sectors are actually on that drive, run a long offline test. This will read every sector on the drive. It will take longer than the 255 minutes described in the smartctl report; that is the time it would take if all sectors were working. Retrying bad sectors will extend that time, as the drive will retry and retry and retry each bad sector.

Once the test completes, you can compare your 16 offline uncorrectable sectors now with the number in a new report.