View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2009
not quite new user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
How badly do you want the sata drive as your principal drive
if you have others?
I would like to use it as the principal drive, since it's the biggest one I have, and since I did buy it specifically for putting into this machine. I didn't get it _because_ it was a SATA, though, just because of the size.

I have 3 modes in my bios: SATA, RAID, and AHCI. It is currently set to AHCI. I might try setting to SATA, although I have read that SATA really means to run in IDE mode. (I don't know for sure, though, because the mb manual is pitiful at explaining the different bios options.) I don't care what mode it runs in, just that it runs.

Quote:
I've a sata controller on pci which is unstable "to sata" and
usually hoses the target filesystem upon, say, a rsync session.
Here, the fix...
a... gjournal setup on the target (maybe irrelevant)
b... using bwlimit" parameter to rsync to make the target
receive data at 1/10th the rate of the source disk (the
freebsd forums has details in a post). That makes the
controller, unreliable otherwise, perfect for backups ( I can
merrily use the system as otherwise, rsyncing a FS at a
time, as long as while it is just root, a few non-default-mounted
filesystems are unmounted. )
Hmmm... While that sounds interesting, I really just want to be able to get back to doing what I normally do, which is not so much tweaking my system, but just using it because it does most of what I need to do so much better than the XP laptop I've been using since my previous mb fried.

Quote:
Your post maybe (???) implies this setup is more reliable than
the/a sata disk, used as the primary disk in a system with
sata chipsets originally on the motherboard.
I don't know if I'd say that, because a large number of people seem to be using SATA drives as their only drive without separate controller boards. However, I get the impression most people don't do regular backups, so in that sense, it's definitely more reliable.

Last edited by AncientDragonfly; 3rd December 2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: changed EHCI to AHCI