View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2009
./dev/null

Quote:
Anybody out there interested in using Sun's Virtual Box to run OpenBSD on their Mac will have any easy time setting it up. I'm running OpenBSD 4.6 on one virtual machine. Now I have a laptop with OpenBSD running and a desktop.
Quote:
I'm going to take the Virtual Box off my Mac.
No sure why your bashing virtualization man, from what you have typed it was your first and only experience, and you ran the crappiest virutalizer IMO on an operating system (MacOS) that probably does not support it properly. The virtual machine is only as secure as you make it, disable networking (no internet connection MUST be secure?) and test away, if it makes you feel safer, NAT the connection to the virtual machine through your raw metal OS.

I run Windoz 2003 Enterprise Server 64bit on my only Windoz desktop (specs below), which does my virtualization as well (testing/support). Inside of that (VMWare workstation 7) i virutalize my MacOS 10.62 install (support reasons) and an XP Pro install (support reasons).

Each VM sits on part of a different hard disk, (i posted a couple of performace tweaks (VMWorkstation 7) on another post, will find link later) that dramatically improve performace.

I agree Sun's VirutalBox is crappy, don't let it influence your whole opinion on virutalization though.

Specs;
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
8gb Corsair Dominator 1066DDR2
2x35gb WD Raptors (1 boot , 1 tmp files)
2x640GB WD Blacks (1 FTP files, 1 documentaries)

MacOS VM sits on one of the 640GB HDD's and gets 2GB of ram and 2 cores
XPPro VM sits on the other 640GB HDD and gets 1GB of ram and 1 core
They both run SMOOTH as hell ...... the MacOS VM took a bit more tweaking.

Last edited by There0; 23rd December 2009 at 01:14 AM.