View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
But where to start now. It is root server and i have just vKVM and
Rescue Mode (Linux/FreeBSD) to choose from.

Can you give me please a starting point.
Ah. It must not be your hardware. It is only a guess, based on what you've posted here, that your platform is a server in the cloud and that your service provider installed OpenBSD for you. If so, you will need to ask them how they provisioned it, and why they made the choices they did. We can't tell you what they did, other than by what you post here.

Based on what little we know -- that there is a mostly empty disk drive available to you -- you should be able to add additional partitions. The "a" partition is your root partition, "b" is your swap partition, and "c" is reserved as the full drive. You can add 13 more partitions, up to "p".

The disklabel(8) program is used to add more partitions -- and they can be set to mount automatically in fstab(5).

For example, let us pretend that you need a 100GB /var for a database. You could create a new 100GB partition with some new disklabel letter, such as "d", format it with newfs(8), mount(8) it temporarily, use mv(1) or tar(1) or pax(1) or dump(8) / restore(8) to migrate all of /var into the new partition, then use $EDITOR to add the new partiion to /etc/fstab as mount point /var, and reboot.

How you proceed is up to you, whether you create new mount points or move data around. All of FAQ 14 will be helpful, and FAQ 14.4 in particular can be used as a guide, with the understanding that it covers adding partiitons on new drives, and you would be adding partitions to the existing drive.

My apologies for any confusion. My initial assumption here, due to lack of other information, was that you had control of your hardware. My understanding now is that you do not.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st May 2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: clarity, typos. As usual.