View Single Post
Old 30th April 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laconic View Post
I seem to recall that NetBSD doesn't support some newer features in ext2, so you need to be careful in formatting removable drives as ext2 if you want to make sure that NetBSD can read them. I think I read about this in NetBSD documetation, but that was years ago. I'll have another look when I get some free time.
Why should NetBSD support ext2 at all? If you want to use ext2 use Linux.

Speaking of LyX I hope you know that much that LyX is just WYSIWYM for TeX. Official TeX distribution for Unix is TeXLive. Current TeXLive release is 2009. Since TeXLive release cycle is one year you are not going to see new release until December 2010. While I concede that NetBSD port of TeXLive is far more granular than OpenBSD port bare in mind that OpenBSD was second OS after Debian to have TeXLive. The OpenBSD port is current (2009) and exceptionally well maintained. If you need to use TeX you will have to live with GNU bloat anyway so you might as well install whole 1 GB of non-sense even though it is possible to install just core which is the size of teTeX and just manually add what you need.

As of LyX port of OpenBSD I can say just one thing. LyX uses Qt 4.5 libraries.
Qt 4.xxx requires GCC version of 4.xxx or above. GCC 4.xxx doesn't compile on OpenBSD due to bugs. Hence you can not have Qt 4.xxx on OpenBSD and in turn you can not have KDE 4.xxx nor LyX in OpenBSD.

GCC upstream has never been interested in OpenBSD patches. They are interested only in supporting Linux. OpenBSD community at this point has completely given up on GCC and we are eagerly awaiting PCC. Fortunately unlike GCC bloat PCC is C only compiler so it can not compile C++ code used for Qt. I am not aware that there is much concern about that in OpenBSD community as there is little love for C++ anyway.

Speaking of FreeBSD you are right. TeXLive is not officially ported to FreeBSD even though there are some unofficial ports circulating. At this point it looks like FreeBSD will never get TeXLive port. All complains regarding TeXLive on FreeBSD should be sent to professor Hiroci Sato of Tokio university who have single-handedly killed TeX on FreeBSD.

Cheers,
OKO