View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th November 2008
Arp Constable

Default troff/nroff Q; how to put a linebreak in a tag labeled lists item

For a program I'm putting together, I've several flags that have both a positive and negative form (e.g. --foo, --no-foo) for things that are not implicitly set by other options. Each pair of options is done in both these forms + their corresponding short options where available. Each of which is described in a single paragraph, but I'm having trouble formatting the options.

Code:
.Sh OPTIONS
.Bl -tag -width indent
.\" The item in question
.It  Cm --interactive, -i Cm --non-interactive, -b
paragraph describing the options
.\" other options, several of which are like the above
.El
which produces just what you would expect:
Code:
 OPTIONS
      --interactive, -i --non-interactive, -b
but I would like the option flags to be shown as with a line break between the positive and negative forms of the option for legibilities sake, like this:

Code:
      --interactive, -i
      --non-interactive, -b
The first thing that occurred to me was to use the Pp macro in between, but that cuts off the second option, then displays the paragraph.

Code:
.It  Cm --interactive, -i Pp Cm --non-interactive, -b

--interactive, -i

I haven't been able to find anything by searching the web or in the mdoc(7) manual page. Before I end up splitting them up into separate list items, does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.