View Single Post
Old 14th July 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
Just a quote, probably not everything being as bad:
Let me be clear about one thing. I don't hate NetBSD project. I love it. It was THE BSD of mid 90s. FreeBSD was for PC people. NetBSD was for UNIX hardware. I love not only UNIX but also UNIX hardware. That being said NetBSD is in deep crisis for many years now and worse than a crisis is denial of NetBSD project leadership about it. When Charles Hannum in 2006 predicted collapse of the project if the things don't change he was quickly occused of betrayal. After Wasabi Systems went out of buseness NetBSD was left with nothing IMHO but npf vaporware and similar.

Going to that twit. As an occasional mantainer of OS X (my daughters have MAC book pro) why in the world would I use pkgsrc besides tens of thousand of MAC installation packages and MacPorts? Just think for a moment about that. On another hand NetBSD which is supposedly the most portable operating system lists the following as TIER I supported

amd64 x86_64 64-bit x86-family machines with AMD and Intel CPUs 6.1.4
evbarm arm ARM evaluation boards 6.1.4
evbmips mips MIPS-based evaluation boards 6.1.4
evbppc powerpc PowerPC-based evaluation boards 6.1.4
hpcarm arm StrongARM based Windows CE PDA machines 6.1.4
i386 i386 32-bit x86-family generic machines ("PC clones") 6.1.4
sparc64 sparc Sun UltraSPARC (64-bit) 6.1.4
xen i386, x86_64 Xen Virtual Machine Monitor 6.1.4

Everything on that list with the exception of amd64 is dead. And let suppose that NetBSD really has great support for ARM and MIPS compare that to 20+ platforms on which OpenBSD runs fully tested and native builds. I think you get the idea.

Last edited by Oko; 14th July 2014 at 10:25 PM.