View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
SMP systems do not work like that. Just because you have more than one effective processor doesn't meant that you get the inherent speed boost. A quad-core at 3.2 GHz only operates at 3.2 GHz, not 12.8 GHz. The additional cores help improve scalability and stability and allow you to do more things at once since there are more processors to use.

When you compile you can use the -j option to specify how many parallel threads you want during compilation? On my dual-core, I've used -j20, and it's worked out well.
I realize how SMP works in that regard. My post is mainly asking about the stability of the SMP kernel under ESX 3.5.

I'm running the buildworld with -j20 now to see how it goes. cc1 seg faulted on me on the first run.(not all that uncommon for me. pretty much anytime I've compiled anything under vmware it seg faults constantly for no apparent reason)

And before I got done typing this post I got an error. I'm going to run clean world first and then try it again. And it just error'd out again. 20 threads might be causing it to get ahead of itself. I'm seeing it try to use all 6 ghz of the proccessing power allocated to it.

And it seems that I have uncovered the instability of SMP under ESX. While using -j to specify even just 2 parallel threads, I constantly get stop errors and seg faults within just a minute or two of compiling. Looks like SMP has not been fixed yet. *sigh*

I also just realized why your post is talking about processing power. In the Virtual Infrastructure client, there are performance graphs that show how many mhz each VM is using.

Last edited by Diceman; 23rd August 2008 at 01:56 AM.