View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2013
New User

To my understanding the filter on my default router (192.168.1.5) redirects outbound packets from the subnet 192.168.1.0 - say the host 192.168.1.10 - to the router 192.168.1.254 without touching them. It's just creating a new frame with the destination MAC-Address of 192.168.1.254 and his own MAC as source address. The new router removes the frame, then rewrites the source IP of the packets while registering the original local source address and sends it to the router of our provider. All incoming answering traffic for that host 192.168.1.10 is sent by the router 192.168.1.254 (after rewriting the destination address) directly to the local destination host 192.168.1.10 without involvement of the initial default router 192.168.1.5. So only outbound packets run through my default gateway, all incoming traffic is delivered directly. A netstat -m on my OpenBSD-router during large downloads would not provide any useful information. Or am I missing something here?
Is there a way to upgrade the router directly from 5.0 to 5.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Hello, and welcome!I'm wondering if a scarcity of mbufs or mbuf clusters might be possible cause. Using the -m option of netstat(1) while those packets are in transit may provide an indication of an mbuf problem or rule this out as a possiblity. Of course if the kernel exhausts mbufs completely, it will panic.

Support for OpenBSD 5.0 ceased on 1 Nov 2012 when OpenBSD 5.2 was released. Since 5.0, there have been network stack improvements including, at 5.1, "Improved vlan priority support, including mapping to interface queues" and at 5.2, "Increased TCP initial window to 14600 bytes as proposed in draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd." While you do not desire an upgrade it is possible that your problem has been resolved by developments implemented since 18 July 2011, when new development ceased for what became 5.0-release.

Even though 5.0 is no longer supported, you might consider posting about the problem on the misc@ mailing list; it is a larger audience and it is possible you will get better advice from more knowledgeable people, including developers. If you have not posted to OpenBSD project mailing lists before, please see openbsd.org/mail.htm for guidance.