View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2008
Port Guard

Default Mail server questions

I'm planning to make my first mail server but before I try it (besides waiting my parts to arrive) I want to clear up few details.

I have setup so that my connection from internet hit my soekris firewall which NAT's and allows specified services to my LAN. In my LAN I have my server, desktop and my laptop.

My first question would be about the spamd. I haven't read much how it works, just some details to get the general idea. Anyway, should I run the spamd on my firewall or on my server? The soekris isn't a powerfull computer and is running on CF disk so I'd avoid doing stuff with it.

If I choose to but run the spamd on my server what should I do with the firewall? Forward all ports incoming to smtp to my servers spamd port?

Then about the mail server itself,
I want to download messages from multiple hosts like mails sent directly to my server, mails on my gmail accond etc to my mail server. I want to be able to access these mails from remote locations but so that they stay on my server too. This to avoid things like using mail client on laptop to check messages and then going home and checking messages with desktop only to notice that messages checked out with laptop aren't listed.

I'd like to know few tips on how the above can be made.

Also I want to order the mails based on source and subject but I think procmail handles this.

I still haven't decided on which MTA to use.

But currently I can't think of other questions but I'm sure I'll have some once I get my server up and running and try to make this working.