View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roko View Post
Now i have an additional problem, now my slackware wants to use that vpn as the primary internet connection. Its the same with windows 7, i tried to assing a higher metric to the vpn connection but still its the primary on the internet usage. As i want to use my local connection and not the vpn as the primary internet connection, any idea how to fix that on linux & windows.
There's a "Use default gateway on remote server" or something similar on network connection property under Windows.

As to Linux, you might need these options for your ppp configuration:

Code:
# Try to get the name server addresses from the ISP.
usepeerdns
# Use this connection as the default route.
defaultroute
Just a side note - if you configure your clients to to use their local DNS servers and not the DNS server from the VPN connection, you may not be able to connect to your Samba machine if you are connecting to it using ti's DNS name.

What would happen when a client wants to connect to your Samba machine, and you are using a private domain name for example - then the clients DNS server does not know anything about it, and thus you won't be able to connect to it.

If your clients use the DNS server that from the VPN connection, it will be a bit slower, but for sure that DNS server will know more

Regards,

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org