View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default How much computer training do you have?

I wrote this poll to see how many people here are IT pros or programmers and how many are just enthusiasts. Sometimes I wonder if I am one of the few without a computer science degree or a job in computers. I am going to be a sophomore in college in the fall and am not comp sci or anything similar.

I joined this forum since I like free alternatives to Windows and Mac and the expensive software that goes with it. I used Linux Mint to start out with but its parent, Ubuntu, consistently releases unstable versions of its OS and Mint inherits that. Therefore I looked and found OpenBSD and saw it was widely regarded as the most secure operating system in the world and very stable and clean. I even like the songs and artwork that go with the releases, even though it's a bit cheesy.

Since it was command line by default, it took a while to figure out. I bought the CDs for 4.7 and after playing around with it, Googling, and posting on this forum, I just this morning finally got the full GNOME GUI working on the box. I was very excited. I'm thankful that the gnome-session package has a good readme that tells me what other packages I need.

Anyway, I'd like to see if there are many others that use BSD as a desktop and aren't specifically trained in computer science, programming and related fields.