View Single Post
Old 30th January 2009
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Integrated Intel HDA does not do the job?

Bad choise, give it back while you wtill can, all seagate 7200.11 searies is fucked up, even their firmware upgrade does not help, more here: http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?82331

Get WDC Black series drive (640GB for example) or Seagete 7200.12 with 1 platter 500GB series.

Why DVD-ROM when you have DVD-RW?

~20W max for motherboard
~45W max for CPU (TDP says 65W but people reported that it uses about 35-45W at most)
~8W max for RAM
~10W max for DVD
~10-15W max for HDD
~100W max for 9600GT

To sum up it will be about 200-250W max usage, so you need 350-450W PSU.

PCU gets maxumim efifcency at half of their power, for example if you get 430W, you will get highest PSU efficency at abou 215W usage.

Asus's BIOS supports that feature.

So just when I thought it was almost finally done, this nightmare of picking hardware, this message about the HDD arrives

BUT: I appreciate your warning very much (!) - Thank you

Carpetsmoker has also suggested a HDD, the Western digital Caviar 500GB 16MB Raid Edition, which seems to be completely different from the 'normal' WD retail HDDs (of which I am not too fond).

Too bad, because I have sworn by Seagate for many, many, years (in fact, there's one thing I have always said: all things are discussable, but the HDDs need to be Seagate).

I will dive in which other HDD to choose then, tomorrow.

As to your other points:
1. Integrated HDA: as I just wrote in reply to DrJ's post: its my experience that integrated audio doesn't do Digital Sound Processing very well, so I thought, lets just take a separate audio card (I'm a bit of an audio freak ).
2. DVD-rom + DVD-RW: I've been told DVD-RW will die faster when you also use it for ROM only.
3. PSU: thank you, but taking into account then 'to be on the safe side' as DrJ wrote, 500W seems the smart thing to do?

Thanks again Vermaden