View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2009
Port Guard

Yes, I'm paying for a single static IP address (though I can get more if I pay extra). This isn't a server I set up myself, it's with a dedicated server hosting company that I pay for every month. I found a good Tier 1 host that I checked lots of reviews about, and it seems that they're very good and reputable, and cheap, as a main thing so I decided to go with that since the internet here is pretty fast anyway, so speed isn't an issue. (1Mbps downstream DSL costs $19.99 a month, but I get about 8-9Mbps downstream here for free at college, which would cost me about $50 a month more or less with taxes and stuff if I get the cable internet provider that practically has this area monopolized and is the only available major ISP for that kind of speed in my area of the state, and this dedicated server costs cheaper than that per month so I thought it'd be smarter to get the dedicated server instead of my own internet instead.)

The company I'm hosting with has their own nameservers that we're allowed to use, but they said most people set up their own nameservers so that was just a suggestion and I don't think it'd really hurt to learn through experiencing with it a bit. If I mess up I can just start over anyway.

Last edited by paran0iaX; 12th March 2009 at 11:34 PM.