View Single Post
Old 12th December 2013
Port Guard

Let us be specific. I have stated in what ways the desktop environments in BSDs are lacking. Namely, they lack the tighter integration with the OS that Linux provides by various daemons, some of which are ported to BSDs while others are not. It is currently messy "Linuxisms" that make BSDs more user-friendly for desktop.

I have proposed two solutions. What is your stand on each of them?

i.e. 1. One of the BSDs choose to focus and create a DE that is entirely UNIX-like and clean, i.e. focus on the BSD services instead of relying on Linuxisms. It could be a fork of any of the existing desktops like Gnome or KDE as well. Thus the entire abstraction layer could be eliminated making the GUI layer talk directly to the kernel rather than through "abstraction kits". This will be ideal and allow BSDs to have feature rich DEs without depending on Linux code.

2. BSDs embrace new solutions in the place of the existing Linuxisms like Conksolekit, policykit, dbus etc. which will seamlessly allow the existing DEs to work as feature-rich on BSD as in Linux.

Surely it is within the scope of a project or a group within the BSD community?

The current situation is that many of the features of Gnome and KDE that are Linux specific, either do not work at all on BSD or are half-implemented, making these desktops less featureful.