Thread: mutt & fdm
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Disciplined & regular use of dump(8) & restore(8) would accomplish the same goal.
"That's one small step for a qmemo, a giant leap for qmemo too" --qmemo

Perhaps with time I will be prave and more talented enough to trust my skills on doing it the right way; how ever I am heavily considering it.

that's why I made sure that the linux portion is so small to be forced on using OpenBSD and getting things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Mailx is "standard" Unix MUA. You will find it on all systems. On Linux, Solaris it is actually Heirloom mailx (MIME support+IMAP). On NetBSD it is enhanced Berkley mail (has MIME but no IMAP). On OpenBSD and FreeBSD it is just classical Berkley
(no MIME yet but could be ported from NetBSD (so you will need Heirloom mailx from ports or mpack for MIME and fdm for IMAP). I do not know on DragonFly but in the worst case scenario it is just like FreeBSD. The same is in Cygwin.

If you go mutt, alpine, nmh route you need to add MUA as oppose to using one from the base. My advice is pick one and stick to it!

In the terms of dealing with huge amount of emails and doing lots of scripting and automatic mail sending stuff nmh is THE best. It also has the best e-mail file system (for archiving) and searching.
Mailx is OK for the same purpose but definitely inferior.

Alpine is for individual use (sort of Thunderbird of early 90s). I am not that familiar with Mutt.

I for example also like Opera e-mail client. It is OK for general use for people who must have GUI. Sylpheed is very good with a GUI. Claws as well. The only one that I really, really dislike in Unix world is Evolution.

You can also use nmh with GUI. I think it is called exnm. There is even Emacs interface for nmh.
Among old school GUI MUA you can find things like TkRat.
I think I will spend this night considering mutt & nail (from ports)

Heirloom mailx from ports is still called nail

mail(1) from base, will still not sure about it too.

this thread is much informative so far