View Single Post
Old 6th September 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
My limited experience with both FreeBSD and OpenBSD is that FreeBSD has proved impossible to install/run on one machine (booting fails because one of the two cores in the processor refuses to start properly) and FreeBSD with either Gnome or KDE desktops on another machine occasionally hangs with the mouse unable to select items on the desktop (it's much worse with KDE).
I believe SMP can be enabled.
KDE crashing occurs with Linux also, Maybe building a lite version of each desktop would be better. You can install the base of each and use, say, xfce or blackbox as your environment.

Quote:
OpenBSD doesn't put any real work into developing user interfaces, so the Gnome desktop is old, Firefox is only at version 3.0.something and so on. Lots of things users expect to come with Gnome aren't there. FreeBSD has a much better default Gnome install package. OpenBSD does work though and seems very solid.
OpenBSD's main focus is not the desktop. You can download and build files from source if you wish. As said before, more eyes. The developers of each project put in a lot of work.

Quote:
The FreeBSD forums are larger and more informative than the OpenBSD ones!
The mailing lists of each are even more informative. My experience is that there is always a developer willing to help.

Overall, the desktop doesn't matter that much when my focus is a "project." It's then that the OS itself has the importance.