View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2010
KING

I don’t think you really booted the cd your scripts create. The floppy.image is booted and is on the cd as a file named floppy.image, but the flash and new bios img files are not there. And for such a simple process you go and post scripts with out any explanations of what the scripts are doing. The reader has to be expert in writing scripts to even start understand what is happening. This sure is not a how to in my book

As sysadmin I all ways login as root.
1. copy your msdos.floppy.img to root. In my case the floppy image contains the basic programs to fix any fat32 drive, IE. [fdisk, format, more, scandisk, edit, chkdsk, find, command.com, sys.com, io.sys, msdos.sys].
2. Download from your BIOS vendor the program to flash the bios and the new.bios.img file. Put them in root.
3. Make a memory disk of the msdos.floppy.img

Code:
  mdconfig -f msdos.floppy.img
  mount -t msdosfs /dev/md0 /mnt
  cd /mnt
  ls

Now you see all the files in the floppy.image. To this you have to add the 2 files from the vendor used to update your motherboard BIOS chip

Code:
 cp flash.exe  /mnt/
 cp new.bios.img /mnt
 ls

Now you will see your BIOS update files added to the floppy image
Now back out

Code:
  cd /root
  umount /mnt
  mdconfig -d -u md0
Now your ready to create the cd.iso file. You will need the mkisofs command. It's not part of the base system so you have to install it from the ports system or package system.

Code:
 pkg_add -r cdrtools
 rehash
 mkisofs -J -R -b msdos.floppy.img -o cd.iso msdos.floppy.img

Now your ready to burn the cd.iso file to CDROM. The burncd program is part of the base system. If your using a cd/rw cd and it all ready has stuff on it then blank it out.

Code:
 burncd -v -f /dev/acd0 -s4 -e blank fixate

Ready to burn your bootable floppy iso to cd

Code:
burncd -v -f /dev/acd0 -s4 -e data /root/cd.iso fixate

Booting from this newly created CD will put you at the MSDOS command line as drive A: To display the contents of drive A: issue

Code:
dir

Then key in the program to update the system BIOS chip

Code:
Flash

When completed, remove the CD from the CD/RW drive and reboot the PC.
If your PC doesn’t boot then you know you have very big problem. The BIOS update you just ran didn’t work or the update.bios.img file was not the correct one for your bios chip. Your only remaining option is to buy a new motherboard from a know vendor who provides technical support for their equipment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip msdos.floppy.img.zip (690.1 KB, 223 views)