View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2018
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Yes could and probably was an error during installation. It has been at least two years since the last time I installed a system and probably messed up. I distinctly remember naming my systems with name.org in the past, but this time I forgot about that and left out the .org.
It's easy to make these kinds of slip-ups, or get confused about which installer question has what defaults, especially after a while of not doing it.

Quote:
I am going to edit the file by replacing DHCP with ,org and see what happens.
Using an existing top-level domain like .org is probably not a good idea. On the one hand, as long as you remember to put your own hosts into the /etc/hosts file, and use it first for lookups, you will be able to reach them. But, if there is a real Internet domain under .org with the same name as one of your hosts, you won't be able to look it up properly, because your resolver will return the IP address of the host on your LAN instead of the real one. While this may be an unlikely naming overlap, it really should not be done that way. It's better to chose some bogus non-existent top level domain for your network, so that there can be no conflict. I use .lan, but there may be better choices. I'm not sure what is the latest best practice about such reserved names for private usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi
And here I am, thinking that you intended your local domain to be ".DHCP" for a personal reason.
Not an unreasonable assumption given we are often an eclectic bunch.