View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2012
Port Guard

Default Own repository for Debian/Ubuntu on FreeBSD server

Hello friends.

The very majority of our server infrastructure runs FreeBSD.
The clients have Ubuntu on their desktops and are connected throught VPN.

I had a task to make our own repository for Ubuntu. (Not just a mirror ( = a copy) but our own repository with our self-compiled packages).

The Debian/Ubuntu package system and repository structure is not as simple as for example OpenBSD's or Slackware's one is, when all packages are kept in one directory, or 2-lever structure. And Debian/Ubuntu have a special package - 'reprepro' which was designed to create your own repositories.

So, the question is as follows: is it possible to create a small repository for Ubuntu, but on the FreeBSD server ?

I'm not a 'native' FreeBSD admin, but I haven't found 'reprepro' package on the http://www.freshports.org and among precompiled binaries.

As I already said, the very majority of our server infrastructure runs FreeBSD and there is only one Debian server. So I'd like to know if it will be necessary to set up a dedicated Debian (or Ubuntu) server for running our own repository (in case if that Debian one will not be the best choice because of the network topology/traffic and so on) or it's possible to host an Ubuntu repository (and add self-built packages from time to time) on the FreeBSD server.

Last edited by Lexus45; 25th January 2012 at 11:42 AM.