View Single Post
Old 28th May 2009
Arp Constable

I'm actually quite used to people not getting the distinction between X Windows System / X11 and things X.Org/XFree86; for me it is much the same as the difference unix-like and Solaris / AIX / etc.

Being quite young to a culture that is quite old (comparatively), a study of computing from the days when a PDP-1 was the new chick, all the way to the modern area. It was kind of necessary to reduce odds of putting my foot in my mouth.... but hey, I love history and being accurate when possible (and have tasted my foot to often).

@DrJ / even further OT: Some time ago I coded a test to profile several different but similar solutions to 1 problem. It worked fine on a small data set (bigger then real world), taking only a few moments to execute with nice results. So I increased it to a progressively heavy data set and set the machine crunching away, so I could review the results under different chokes before settling. When the laptop started to overheat ~15min later (high CPU use and lots of swaping etc), the arithmetic of what I had changed finally started catching up to my brain, and I stopped once estimated run time for the new tests exceeded 8 hours and kept rising because of the data to be processed -- and for the first time understood why real work stations are such exquisitely crafted beasts! Some scientific needs for processor time must be insanely heavy loads....

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.