Thread: Noob
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamelle View Post
Hello,

I have never tried *bsd before and will like to give it a try. I have been a Linux user since 1995, (Slackware mostly).
Welcome to the forum. Your background sounds vaguely similar to mine; I started Slackware around 1997 (and before that a bit of MCC Linux!). I still use Slackware, and one of the 3 major BSDs about half-and-half.

Quote:
With Linux all the distributions share (more or less) the same kernel, I understand this is not the case on the BSD world, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD have different kernels, is this correct?
That is basically correct. So, you can't take a FreeBSD kernel, for example, and plop it into an OpenBSD system and expect it to work, it won't (no matter what you might expect ). I guess with Linux there are some renegade kernels but it's not something I ever paid much attention to.

Quote:
Which BSD should I try? (and why) My main use will be desktop.
My advice is try them all, but one at a time! So the question is which to start with? I would spend a very limited amount of time assessing (but not obsessing over) my needs -- is there some feature(s) I *must* have? -- and any special hardware requirements. Then look at Free (and/or PC), Open and Net, and see how they match up to those. With that, and if you see anything especially intriguing, just pick one and try it first.

You're sure to find some things you like better, and worse, among all of them and Linux. That's the nature of it. Good luck!